Newborn photography – How to prepare for a newborn photography session. Bringing your new baby home is one of the most wonderful and exciting times in your life. As you pop your tiny little baby into their capsule and into the car for their first car ride home from the hospital. Life as a family now really begins.
Quite often, your first outing from home is to visit your newborn photographer for your babies first photos. These are often done in the first few weeks depending on your newborn photographers schedule. Many of my clients visit from day 7 through to day 20, after this your gorgeous little newborn tends to be a lot more awake and it can be a little trickier to photograph them in that gorgeous newborn sleepy stage.
I have provided the following list, on how to prepare your newborn for a newborn photography session.
1. Make sure you have booked in with your newborn photographer before your baby has arrived, many newborn photographers book out quite quickly, most provide the maternity photo session as well so booking in a maternity session is a good way to ensure you have a secure booking for your newborn baby. It is also a wonderful way to get to know your baby photographer beforehand.
2. Once your new baby has arrived, be sure to let your photographer know as soon as possible after the birth. Your photographer will then be able to secure you a date during the newborn phase. They will also discuss colour choices and have everything set up before you arrive.
3. On the morning of your photography session, continue on as you normally would, as newborn photographers and often parents ourselves, we understand that every single day is a little different with a newborn and that you as parents are running on very little sleep. I suggest to my clients to pack their clothes for their parent and family photos, this should be discussed with you previously, and to arrive in comfortable clothing. When it comes time for the parent and family photos you can change into your clothes for the photos then. Once those photos are done, you can pop back into your comfortable clothing afterwards. It is so important to be comfortable so that you are able to relax and enjoy the session.
4. Feed your baby before you leave, even just a quick top up. It can be a little stressful if baby decides they want to feed as you are travelling in the car on the way. If your newborn decides they want to feed just as you are leaving, just send your photographer a quick message to let them know you may be a little late. Allow your baby to sleep when they wish to, it is not necessary to keep your baby awake before their newborn photography session. In fact, my photography sessions are all baby led. Your baby should feed when they wish to and sleep when they wish to. We work around your babies needs and their needs always come first.
5. Enjoy the experience of having your new baby photographed, it is such a beautiful and precious time. As newborn photographers, we understand newborn babies are all so different and unique, we allow plenty of time for feeding and settling. Our newborn studios are set up to allow for the comfort of your new baby and the comfort of becoming new parents.
If you are looking at a maternity session you can view some beautiful maternity gowns here Maternity Gowns *note Kellie Johnsson Photography also supplies maternity gowns for your maternity session.